Friday, May 13, 2011

New me...New Shoes

            I never thought the day would come when I would not only be wearing tennis shoes but I’d actually be eagerly shopping for them. As unbelievable as it sounds even to me, that is what I am doing. My brother in law: marshmallows and I joined a gym to kick off the New Year and get us Jersey shore ready for the summer time.
It seems, just like getting ready for a special night out, you have to actually have a “gym outfit” too and this includes gym shoes. In my head I pictured Carrie from Sex in the city jogging to catch a cab or meet the girls for drinks in her jimmy choos and marshmallows laughed when I said I’d wear my air force one stilettos. We agreed that we’d be just like Romy and Michelle; the best dressed in the gym.
All joking aside, I am serious about getting fit so I must be serious about buying shoes for the gym. Yet, who knew, how much thought actually would go into buying a pair of shoes that aren’t even flattering to look at. You have to consider heel support, arch, cushion and flexibility.
Consider if you are going to be doing activities like walking, or running. So many choices and it’s nothing like the usual ones I make when looking for shoes!
I tried to consider all the things I mentioned but I can’t lie, when I looked at all my choices, I went totally went off of cuteness and grabbed the first pair I saw. They were cute, black and white to match my black and white yoga pants and tank and surprisingly comfy when I hopped around in them at home. I didn’t read any words on the side of the box other than the words Danskin, I was just thrilled that it had been easier than I thought.
Just like high school, you should never make any of your choices based on looks. Cute doesn’t always mean better. I found this out after my first day at the gym. Marshmallows and I live less than 5 minutes from our gym so I only had the short walk from my doorstep to the car and from the car to the inside of the gym. I’ll admit they felt funny to walk in but I figured it was because I was so used to wearing heels my poor feet weren’t sure what to do.
Hot shot that I am, I hit the tread mill at a steep incline and tried my hand at jogging. After 15 minutes of sweating away in my new shoes, I tried to get a swig of water from my bottle and nearly killed myself as I stumbled to the left. I almost became one of those funniest home videos you all laugh about at home. I could just picture my misfortune all over Youtube in less than ten minutes with a couple of thousand views.
Marshmallows couldn’t even suppress his laughing as I looked at him with an “OHMIGOD!”expression. I glanced to the right and the other gym goers were either so into their workout they don’t pay attention or were just really polite and wanted to save me some humiliation. I’m going to go with being polite. But the damage was done. I walked out of there red faced and it wasn't from any workout.
I declared I hated my new shoes! It was there, that  marshmallows informed me “well no wonder you almost fell, those are like shape ups, you aren’t supposed to wear them to work out in, just to walk”
Great……

No comments:

Post a Comment